TACLOBAN CITY – Emilina P. Poliquit opened her talk crying. Ms. Poliquit, the president of the Kananga Women’s League, is the face of Yolanda-ravaged coconut planters in Leyte who, until now, have yet to see the “promises” of the Philippine Coconut Authority come to fruition. Except for giving coconut planters two packets of “pinakbet” seeds, she said, PCA has not really been there for them.
Losanto “Ka Jun” Castillo, Jr., on the other hand, drew laughter from the audience during his talk. But it did not blunt the barbs he sent to concerned government agencies. Ka Jun is a fisherman. He said that Tacloban now has 10,000 registered fishermen, 40,000 fishing boats, and more are coming. “There are 4 boats to one fisherman,” he said, “but there is less fish to catch.” What’s more, he said, is that the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources have announced they would be distributing more boats and nets, “one year late.”
Emilina Poliquit and Ka Jun were just two of the speakers in a press conference facilitated by Oxfam, an international NGO, on Thursday (November 6).
The others were Tacloban Vice-Mayor Jerry “Sambo” Yaokasin and Atty. Mel Jun Diasanta, municipal administrator of Balangiga, Eastern Samar. Both spoke on the problems besetting the resettlement of victims in their own turfs, especially the ticklish issue of the 40-meter “No Build Zone.” [click to continue…]
“A year after Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) devastated the Philippines, close to a million people continue to live in inadequate shelters and are still struggling to find the resources to resume their livelihoods”, says international humanitarian and development agency Oxfam, in a new report issued this week.
The report, In the Shadow of the Storm: Getting Recovery Right One Year After Typhoon Haiyan, calls on the national government to comprehensively address remaining humanitarian needs, while delivering a scaled up, pro-poor recovery agenda.
“It should not be business as usual,” Oxfam said, considering that it was an emergency situation that need extraordinary response.
Yolanda hit the Philippines on November 8 last year, killing more than 6,000 people and displacing 4 million people from their homes. An estimated 14 million people were affected. It was the strongest recorded storm to have made landfall. [click to continue…]
(L-R) Social Welfare Secretary Dinky Soliman, Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas, Mayor Edward Codilla, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, PARR Secretary Panfilo Lacson and Vice Mayor Toto Locsin Jr. during a dialog held at the City Hall on November 8.
ORMOC CITY – “Tanungin natin ang sarili natin, bakit parating may reklamo sa Tacloban, bakit sa ibang lugar wala naman tayong nakikitang reklamo,” said OPARR Secretary Panfilo Lacson Sr. as he clarifies on the issue that victims from Tacloban received no assistance from national government.
The Secretary said Tacloban City received P251-M for the reconstruction of City Hall, Public Market, and its Civic Center while Guian only got P101-M. Other municipalities even received lower from the national government.
“Galing kami doon [sa Tacloban], ang sabi ng National Housing Authority, by 2015, tapos na lahat ang 40,433 housing units for resettlement”. [click to continue…]
The mysterious cockpit at Tambulilid where three men died on its third pa-tupada. The policemen saw it. Residents saw it. They heard how noisy it was when the games were on. But Barangay Chairman Max Jaballa swore before fiscal Oñate that he did not know it existed in his village.
ORMOC CITY – The Office of the City Prosecutor here has started “marathon” preliminary investigations into the alleged buy-bust operation that turned sour at Brgy. Tambulilid last April 8, killing three civilians including the alleged target, and wounding six others.
The families of the late Dr. Jay Movilla, a government dentist who was killed inside an illegal cockpit, and Rodolfo Villar, a former barangay official and the eldest brother of a judge, has sued 14 policemen for murder and attempted murder.
The policemen has also filed a countersuit against the complainants, saying they were involved in illegal gambling and got in the way of a legitimate police operations. [click to continue…]
Against the backdrop of the badly dilapidated Old City Hall, once the seat of government of Ormoc, 4th Leyte District Rep. Lucy Torres-Gomez and Ormoc Mayor Edward Codilla inaugurates the newly landscaped “garden fronting” it, together with Vice-Mayor Toto Locsin Jr. and his mom, former congresswoman and Ormoc mayor Vicky Locsin whose group Ormoc Garden Club undertook the beautification project. Hopes are high that the plans to rehabilitate the Old City Hall will push through, with some P 10-million earmarked in the 2015 budget for the purpose.
THE ORMOC Garden Club, under the leadership of former congresswoman and Ormoc City mayor Victoria Locsin, turned over to the Ormoc City government the newly landscaped garden fronting the old Ormoc City Hall.
The turnover was graced by no less than Rep. Lucy Torres-Gomez and Mayor Edward Codilla, a rare occasion where the two opposing politicians have been seen to mingle.
Vice-Mayor Toto Locsin Jr was also present, together with members of the city council except for councilors Atty. Bennet Pongos Jr. and Dr. Eusebio Gerardo “Gerry” Penserga.
The landscaping is a project of the Ormoc Garden Club under its “One Ormoc: Help Restore our City’s Landmarks.” [click to continue…]